A few ramblings about knitting, mainly vintage stuff and other bits and bobs

Sunday 25 January 2015

Knitting shops now gone

I've long been intrigued by the number of knitting shops that used to populated the UK. Talking to older people has made me realise that just about every town had somewhere to buy wool no matter how small so last year made a start on logging them on Google Maps.

The locations come from the stamps that shops put on the patterns, usually on the front cover, but sometimes on the inside. There are a few that I can't find, the red dots, but hope that by the time I've gone through my entire collection I might have worked out where they are.


This is a work in progress so hopefully the map with gather more pink dots and show just how widespread wool and craft shops were. My dream is to find a shop that is pre 1969 and still open.

No comments:

Post a Comment