A few ramblings about knitting, mainly vintage stuff and other bits and bobs

Saturday 3 January 2015

New Year, New Project



 In the Sheffield group on Ravelry we're having a 12 in 2015 Challenge. It's simple, just knit 12 things over the next year using your stash as much as possible. Some of the projects are themed but most are a do what you like. It can be any size project but the crux is to use as much of your stash as you can whilst making marvellous things. For January we are having a deep stash sub-challenge so you have to use the oldest yarn in your stash. It can be oldest as in years, or oldest in terms of one of the things you recorded on Ravelry. I've gone with a ball of 320g or 11 ozs of roughish wool that I bought in 2004 in the Yorkshire Dales and a pattern from my vintage collection.

It's always tricky marrying up unknown quantities of yarn to unknown patterns and this one seems to be going very well. It starts on 3mm needles then jumps up to 3.25mm, then just before the bust jumps again onto 3.75mm. But I realised after I had knitted about 20cm that I wasn't going to make it to a full jumper as the 3mm section ate so much of the wool that I knew that I wouldn't have enough to finish and with no chance of getting more I had to find something else

So I am now working on this lace cardigan worked on 3.75mm needles so it's nice and open without being loose. I'm still a bit worried about running out of wool but figure if I can get the back, fronts, and button band sorted, I'll work the sleeves together from the top down so will stop when I run out. What could possibly go wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment